Sunday, August 1, 2010

Spontaneity: what turns a good day into a great one

Dear you,

Today started off ehh. Not bad, but not great either. I accidentally awoke from a twelve hour snooze at 1:30 this afternoon. My mom was worried I was ill. Nope, just tired.

Evidently, my mother was feeling an adventure. And an adventure is what she got. I think it is safe to say that I got my spontaneous side from my mom. I like a good, well thought out plan. But gosh, I love making spur of the moment decisions. They always turn out to be the most fun.

So, with a map that wasn't really a map and our fun sides out we got in the car and drove. My mom found a huge park she hadn't been to in thirty years. It was, in one word, beautiful. There were big open fields, canopies of trees and, best of all, a frisbee golf coarse. It was great. While I did not have a frisbee in hand, I definitely will in the future. My mom and I drove around the park for at least an hour, probably a little longer.

I couldn't help but lose track of the time as I gazed out the windows and mentally planned trips to come back. After that we drove back towards town and stopped to get ice cream at the Dairy Queen. "Why not?" my mother said to me. And I couldn't give her a reason to the contrary. We drove a little longer.

At last we ended up at our new Home Sweet Home. It's been a good day. Not long, not expensive, and I don't have a ton of souvenirs but it's been good. And hey, it's not even 7:00 yet.

Today's Lesson: be more spontaneous. You'll love the results.

Until next time.

Sincerely, me

P.S. Here's a picture of me writing this letter, courtesy of my mother.

2 comments:

  1. Kayla, your blogs (if thats what you call these(im not computer savvy)) make my day. well actually speaking to you EVERYDAY makes my day too, but you get the point. I love you so much and i miss you! I can't wait to come see you one day! Keep wrighting, i love reading these! tehehehe im not telling you who this is. you can guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the day perfectly, Kay. I couldn't have spent it with a better "road" partner. Keep writing - you're pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete