Sunday, August 8, 2010

Marching Bands: much cooler than I previously thought

Dear you,

Today I went to something very cool. I went to Drums Along The Waterfront. Its this national competition held in New York showcasing the country's best performing marching bands. In two words: visually delicious.

I was swept away in the dancers' flowing skirts, the flags waving gently but fervently, the instruments being swung around and played beautifully. The music was so much more than I expected. Being a musician, I find myself somewhat critical when I hear live music. Not in a malicious way but in a "I can hear every out of tune note" kind of way. This far exceeded my expectations. All the competitors were impeccable in intonation.

But what really blew me away was the choreography. There were whole story plots! I saw torrid lovers, calvary men, and sultans. I even got to see Little Miss Dorothy, complete with ruby slippers. =)

I wish I could describe every dance to you in excruciating detail. Due to my lack of memory, I cannot. I think I need to start carrying a notepad, because there is so much I want to share with you. Instead, I'll share my feelings.

First I felt nostalgic. Even though I only graduated a couple months ago from high school it feels like it's been longer. My senior year I wasn't much a part of the school. I was taking classes at the community college, I had a full work load and I just wasn't on campus all that much. But when I heard those marching bands tooting their horns I remembered my freshman days of Friday night games at Hawkins Stadium (my home field). It brought back the school spirit, seeing the Sugar Canes (MHS Dance Team) dance, the red, white, and blue, chanting "WE ARE...MANATEE!". It felt nice.

Then I felt the awe settle in. I watched the beauty and fluidity of it all. They were so graceful... That's when the pang of jealousy came in. How much I long to be able to do what they do. I love the violin with a passion, but sometimes I wish I could dance instead.

In the end I felt full. Not with grossly overpriced stadium food, but with wellness. That's not the right word. I don't know exactly what the right word is. I guess you just have to feel it for yourself, you know? Can't wait for next year!

Oh and just thought I'd mention this also...I got accepted for a temporary job at a bookstore. I've got an interview tomorrow at American Eagle and one on Tuesday for Wet Seal. And on top of that I am getting an interview at a restaurant that I'm excited about. Things are looking up!

That's all for now.

Sincerely, me

No comments:

Post a Comment