Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Control: didn't we already talk about this?

Dear you,

Plans have changed again. As I've already conceded, I know that I am not really the one calling the shots. And if you'll recall the post I pulled from another blog, it's only my reaction that I have some say in. What am I talking about, you ask?

I went to register for classes today. Since I'm a new student I had to do this and receive advisement at the college instead of online. I did as I was told and waited outside the room I was assigned to for Culinary Arts. Twenty minutes went by and no one had come to unlock the door. The other waiting people and I started to get a little confused so my mom went downstairs to figure things out.

She came back about five minutes later to tell me that all the culinary classes were full and no one would be coming for registration. Apparently they didn't think it was worth the effort to let anybody know, even though we could have been there all day waiting to talk to somebody.

I try to stay mature in my writing on here but I just have to say, "WTF ECC???" That is so unprofessional. But that's what the whole school is based on, isn't it? Disorganization and nonprofessionalism.

Instead of throwing a hissy fit at the nearest ECC employee I decided to go back to what I said before. I really do believe everything happens for a specific reason. It does. So if I don't go to school this semester or year, then so be it. I'll work, save up money and try it again next year.

And then I had an even better thought. While I was letting the fact sink in that ECC is run by untrained monkeys, I realized that I don't need to go there at all. A lot of pastry chefs get there start by dish washing or something of the like at bakeries and work their way up. I already have a solid base of knowledge in the area and I'm sure I would improve quickly once I was in the environment with more talented pastry chefs around.

I could work my butt off this year, establish New York State residency, and then go to SUNY Delhi next year just like I planned on. It wouldn't take any extra time, I would save a good chunk of money, and best of all I'd save myself from all the future panic attacks and headaches ECC is sure to deliver.

There's still a chance that I would be able to register this year, but it's slim. Which leads to the next question needing to be answered. Should I bother going to the orientation tomorrow? It's from like 8:30 AM in the freaking morning (which means I'd have to leave by 8:00) and goes until 1:00 PM (1:00!) and I'll need it if, in some change of events, I did get registered. But I am really starting to think I'd rather just not do it at all.

Forget you ECC!

Any comments would be nice. I'd love some advice right now and to know what people think of my plans. I think I'm doing the right thing. Which, being that it's my future, not yours, I think my opinion is really the only one that counts. But I'd still like some other input.

Phew! What a day can change...

Until next time.

Sincerely, me

P.S. I have just become obsessed with this song. Listen and be amazed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axrqVfuGHh0&feature=player_embedded

2 comments:

  1. If there's a CHANCE that you can still register, go to orientation. School should be Plan A, work Plan B. Yes, practical experience is really valuable, but so is education, and you'll have the rest of your life for practical experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I know it says anonymous, but this is your sister speaking...

    ReplyDelete