Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Knowledge: comes at a price

Dear you,

I was looking around the internet as I've been known to do from time to time and found a website I rather enjoy. It's called TED. It's all these highly intellectual people talking about highly intellectual things. Some topics include: The Bio-Future of Bone Replacement, The Paradox of Choice, and Spaghetti Sauce. They're quite interesting.

I think it speaks to my thinker side, not my eighteen year old self. I've realized I have two very distinct selfs. Maybe even more than two, but two main ones. The one that loves Twilight and chocolate and shopping. And then there's the "me" that loves to go to art galleries and listen to lectures and play classical music.

Well, TED talks to the second me. While perusing the site I found out they had events. National and worldwide. There's actually one in DC this December. I had almost gotten excited thinking maybe I could scrape up the couple hundred dollars to go. This would surely be a life-changing conference. It was definitely worth me being a little broke for a while right? Wrong.

The two day TEDWomen conference costs $2,200. That's right! you heard me right! $2,200! What the heck? I feel like it is grossly unfair that you have to be wealthy to go. Are rich people the only ones that like to think and learn? Obviously not, because I am pretty far down on the "lots of money" list and yet here I am, wishing I could go to the smart people conference.

Now, I'm not blaming TED. They offer a lot with that price and honestly, I was probably just a little naive. But I do blame society. It's the same with everything. College-ridiculously expensive. Even with financial aid most people (including me) have to take out loans. Museums, Plays, Operas-you name it! It's all really pricey. Now, you can go see a movie for $9.00, but maybe my mind yearns for more. Where's my $9.00 entertainment? But that's life, I suppose.

I will say, however, that all the TED talks are free online to watch and very, very interesting. I highly suggest you look around the site.
ted.com

Alright, my rant is over.

Goodnight, all.

Sincerely, me

No comments:

Post a Comment