Sunday, July 25, 2010

Baking Cookies: a childhood necessity

This post is going to be dedicated to the childhood staple that is baking cookies from scratch. My mother always baked cookies when my siblings and I were little. And once we weren't that little we started helping, too. I always thought everyone did that with their parents until I learned most moms just bake them from pre-made dough or just bought pre-made cookies outright. Gasp! I don't mean to criticize or anything, please understand that. If you didn't do this with your mom or child don't be offended. But that's one of my fondest memories from my childhood.
So take this post as a reason to make some from scratch cookies. Even if you're all grown up and on your own. Even if your children have left the coop. Do it! I promise you'll feel great afterwards like I always do. Annnnnnnnd it's not hard. You have my word. I'm going to give you my absolute favorite cookie recipe in the world: The Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie.


  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

If you do make these (which I really hope you do) make sure to comment and maybe leave a picture too. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment