Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fall: what the hell is this?

Dear you,

I haven't written much lately. Pretty much since school started. I'm busy these days. Maybe a little more busy than I'd like to be. I'm working six or seven days a week. Yeah...days off are way overrated. But I did not come one here to complain (at least not today).

I've come here to tell you that things are okay. While I don't like to work so much I have days like today that tell me things aren't so bad, really. I got to work today very tired (even though it was 11:00 AM) and a little grumpy seeing as I haven't had a day off since Monday and won't have one until mid next week...and even that's iffy. But things perked up.

We had a banquet today and guess who was put in charge of it. If you guessed me-good job! I was quite nervous because Mike's (my manager...kind of) exact words were, "It's Kayla's party". Ummm...what?

Now, it wasn't like I had to do attend to every last detail and really it wasn't that much, but it was the fact that they trusted me enough to let me be on my own (more or less). I had the help of a brand new employee who, while being new and seemingly unexperienced in the kitchen, was quite helpful in the end. I made all the food and then plated all of it. We ran short on time, but I finished only two minutes behind schedule so I consider it a success.

This made me feel mighty good. I always tend to shy away from leadership positions. I think it's the fear of failure. I've had oppurtuities to take charge and I have let them pass. It's when I'm forced into the leading role that I realize that I'm not too shabby. In simple words: "I get shit DONE". But, all in all, it felt good. I like that I know where pretty much everything is at the pub. I like that pretty much everyone is getting used to me enough to joke around with me. And I really like it that I can feel confident in what I do.

In other news, fall is here. I've never experienced it before. Of course, I've seen pictures; I've heard about it. But it's nothing compared to seeing it happen first hand. It's so interesting to see leaves change color seemingly before your very eyes. I drive by the same trees everyday and I get to see them, one by one, leave their summer greens behind. It's beautiful. It's the vibrant red ones that really take my breathe away. And I mean, randomly driving by, having some conversation with myself or singing a song, and everything in my head stops as I watch the red leaves whistling through the air on an old sycamore.

I am thankful to be here to see this amazing feat of nature. This is the kind of experience I feel that I've missed out on in Florida. I don't regret growing up there at all, but I feel my place is elsewhere now.

I'm hoping your fall is as devastatingly beautiful as mine is.

Sincerely, me

3 comments:

  1. You rock, my girl! I am so proud of you in more ways than I can say. And I am so, so sad that I am missing fall. It was one of the things I was truly looking forward to. One of these days soon, take a little walk, just for me, and take some photos. It won't be the same, but it's something. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I get shit DONE." I really wish I could post that somewhere in my classroom for positive reinforcement. I've been thinking about putting a collage of such sayings underneath my desk where, in theory, only I should see. It just seems a little risky though.

    --Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, where is the fun in a life with no risks? I say DO IT. Get that shit DONE.

    ReplyDelete