Monday, November 1, 2010

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.  ~Stanley Horowitz

The leaves have gone. A few of them are lingering alone on the trees, but most have departed. It feels very transitional right now. Of course, all of Autumn feels like a huge period of change but right now we are at our peak. The trees are barren and winter wants to move in, swiftly and slyly. But I can tell fall wishes to stay just a bit longer. Between you and me, I think Autumn is losing. It's colder these days. My heat has been on in my car, my jacket is steadily by the door.

Beyond the seasons, life in general seems to be in transition. My life is, at least. Classes changing, friendships forming. All new, all fresh. You can feel it in the crisp air, the change. It's everywhere. I hear of people putting away trampolines and other sumer toys, getting snow blowers out to replace them. My shorts are in my dresser semi-permanently. I like it.

For the most part, I am simply observing. I am watching the way one thing ends as another begins. It's almost magical. Like an age old tradition, passed down for hundreds of years. The leaves changing, then falling. The way the air plays tricks on you, going from cooler to colder to warmer to colder yet again, just to keep you on your toes. Even the way the sun seems tired now, coming late and leaving early. All these things work together along with the transitions we, as people, make without thinking about it. Putting away the light, summer clothes we wear to frolic the summer away, bringing out the tougher, heavier clothing that will keep us warm in tough times. It all works together to create this mass transition that I don't think we take enough notice of. Well, I am. I am glimpsing the way the world works together to keep this cacophony of sounds and smells and experiences and lives moving forward. Always forward.

This is my take on Autumn. I haven't written in a while, but unless I have been significantly inspired, writing comes at a difficulty to me. I hope you're taking note of how the world is changing around you. How you are changing, yourself. It truly is a magical thing, I assure you.

2 comments:

  1. Eloquently written. I'm so glad you are experiencing all of this and really observing. I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you momma. =) I'm trying to be as observant as possible.

    ReplyDelete