Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving: a time for thanks (as the name implies)

Thanksgiving has passed and it just dawned on me today that I really haven't thought about all I'm thankful for. I don't usually sit down and make a big production of it, but this year is quite different than Thanksgivings past. That being said, I feel it's important for people to see what I'm thankful for this beautiful fall.

I'm thankful that I had the courage to move. It hasn't always been fun, but I've become so much more of an adult than I could have ever hoped to be at this point in my life. On the other hand, I'm also thankful that I'm still able to feel like a child in many respects.

I'm thankful to my family. My Florida family for being my rocks. Sometimes I feel like I'm home, just because they are. They have been my guiding light, my guardian angels, and simply knowing they are only a phone call away is one of the sweetest blessings. They are so close, miles mean nothing to me. My New York family for ushering me into my new life with finesse, heart, and strength. They are the reason I haven't gone running back to Florida with my tail between my legs.

I'm thankful for my friends. My best friend Cheryl, of course, makes this list. Her phone calls are sometimes the very height of my day. Without her voice sometimes I forget why I'm doing the crazy things I'm doing. But other than her, there are many more to be thankful for. My Florida friends for reminding me of home. For keeping on with their lives, and reminding me of the memories we have shared. Every once in a while, all it takes to put a smile on my face is to hear one of my friends telling me how I came up in conversation and that I am missed. My New York friends for making me feel a part of something. The people I've met at school have made all the crap I've gone through with ECC completely worthwhile. They are my supports, my jesters, and above all just really great and eclectic people. I do hope they realize how much they all mean to me.

I'm thankful for all the trials and tribulations I have gone through. Gaining and losing jobs, almost not going to ECC this semester, those are all things that taught me to be flexible. They showed me that I am not always in control and I need to be okay with knowing that. I think I am.

With all this being said, I can't forget that I'm thankful for the roof over my head. I'm thankful I have the extreme fortune to be able to live as I please, for I know that others don't have the same right.

Please be thankful for what you have, I guarantee it's more than most on the wonderful planet we call home.

1 comment:

  1. Kayla, you are an amazingly eloquent writer. And you just keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete