Thursday, March 31, 2011

Perspective

While on the drive home from school this evening I was thinking of all the witty things to say about much the drive sucked. I was going to talk about the horrible traffic, the less than ideal rain/rain-snow/snow, the fog...you get the idea.

Then it hit me: the traffic was so bad because of a horrific car accident. Here I am complaining my butt off about how I had to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. But I wasn't on my way to a hospital. It wasn't me who was fighting for my life. Even more, it wasn't someone I loved. I am so, so thankful for that.

How selfish can I be, whining about having to spend 20 extra minutes in my heated car? How about the police officers that were directing traffic and cleaning up in the 34 degree rain? How were they feeling? I'd be willing to be they'd rather be in my car.

It's times like these that make me sad to realize just how desensitized I've become. It took me quite a while on the way home to realize how awful I was acting. If that had been my car that had been smushed I'd like to think people would care more about me than the extra time in their commute. But maybe that's asking too much.

I don't know, it just seems as if we don't feel like we should anymore. We think with our heads more than we feel with our hearts...

No comments:

Post a Comment