Sunday, March 6, 2011

You Can't Fight A Bond Like This

I want to chronicle a day in my life. One day in particular, actually.

This day started out as any other, nothing standing out. It was just before the beginning of the school year and my sister had begged me to come in and give her a hand setting things up in her classroom. It's when I got to her school that things really started taking a turn for the strange.

My sister and I were in her room when she realized she had forgotten something in her car and I graciously went to go get it for her. I was stopped in the parking lot by a woman in her early thirties or so. I smiled, as I usually do when I pass people (it's a habit I picked up working at Atlanta Bread that I haven't been able to let go), and figured we'd both keep walking.

She stopped, though, and so did I (as not to seem rude, of course). She started talking to me about being late or some other trite problem. I realized rather quickly that she wasn't talking to me at all. No, she was talking to my doppleganger, my sister. Even though I knew this was the case I couldn't think fast enough to speak a normal response and move on so instead I muttered something slightly incoherent and walked away. She looked a little confused but went on about her business.

I went back to my sisters classroom and we chuckled about the whole thing. Then she was off to a meeting and I was left sitting at her desk not doing much of anything (I can't remember now if that's because she didn't give me anything to do or if I was avoiding whatever she asked me to do...not important). A friend and fellow teacher of my sisters walked in the room and asked me when a meeting was (presumably the one my sister was at). My response was as follows:

"You know...I honestly have no idea."

This placated her and she left the room without another word. I don't think she ever realized it wasn't Rachel.

Soon after that a custodian lady walked in and asked me a question. I let her know that I was not in fact Rachel nor was I her twin. She bustled out of the room and returned moments later with another custodian lady. This was the conversation:

"Look! That's not Mrs. Kutz. No, it's her sister. Yeah, they're not even twins!"

I was chuckling to myself when Rachel came back in the room. Before I even had a chance to fill her in on the events since she had left she told me how a co-worker asked her if she had changed clothes. He had seen me walking the halls earlier and couldn't figure out why my sister would've changed her clothes in the middle of the day.

I would say this is annoying and sometimes it can be. But more than anything it makes the bond my sister and I share even more apparent. It's also extremely flattering since my sister is beautiful. Being mistaken for her is not too shabby.

I love you Rachel. I can't wait until we're together again. We are special. We are two-of-a-kind.


I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that I have been accepted to the University of Central Florida (my sisters alma mater). I'm now one step close to making my dream become my reality.

2 comments:

  1. you can do anything if you put your mind to it.keep up the good work.congradulations.will

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me miss Emily! Although I'm not sure we could get away with anythign quite like that!

    -Chrissy

    ReplyDelete