Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring: Rebirth, Renewal, and Growth

Today was a great day. I didn't do anything magnificent. I didn't create a work of art or volunteer at a school. I didn't even put mascara on. It wasn't anything about me that made this day special. It was what's around me.

I'm writing this post to you at my kitchen bar, as I usually do. A few things are different, though. My front door is open. It's wide open letting Spring burst in billows into my apartment. My windows are open letting soft breezes waft over my belongings. Things are waking up. Not just the plants and the grass. My home. The couch, the shelves, the counters, the candles. They're all filling their lungs with the vitality that is sizzling in the air. It's electric. Something that not even my own body can ignore.

*Alert...I'm about to mention my "girlie time"*

Today is the first day of my period. I have what's known as PMDD which means that sometimes it's hard to cope for the first few days. I've been prescribed anti-depressants. Just to take when I need them. For a while now, I've needed them to survive the first two days.

This month, though, seems different. I have not taken a single pill today. I feel great. I feel cheerful and energetic and full of life.

This isn't a knock on prescription drugs. Not at all. This is merely me relishing in the Earth and the fact that sometimes Mother Natures cures just work better.

I am happy, healthy, and loved. I'd like to think that, maybe just for this moment, the world is right.

Thank you Spring. You may have taken a while to get here but I'm glad you made it. Please, stay a while.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the best things about living where there are four distinct seasons is that the beginning of each new season brings such an appreciation for the changes that go on around us. We tend to look outside ourselves and notice all the beauty in nature. I really, really miss that.

    ReplyDelete