Monday, April 11, 2011

Groundhogs Are Cute-End Of Story

As I looked out the window in my door this morning I saw something. I couldn't quite figure out what it was without my glasses. I squinted to no avail. My glasses, though, were all the way across the apartment and I didn't want to lose sight of this mysterious little creature. Well, I figured, I had to try. I did one of those runs to get my glasses that if anyone ever saw I'd be terribly embarrassed. That loping, use-your-long-legs-for-something-useful type of run.

I rushed back with all four eyes and looked out to survey the land. To my delight, the creature was still there. It's not something I had ever seen in person; I was instantly sure of that. But he did seem familiar. Groundhog. That's the word that popped into my mind. Yes, after a quick search on Google (thank you, modern technology) I learned that it was, indeed, a groundhog in the garden. I watched him nibble (probably to my aunt and uncle's dismay, but that's not my battle). He scurried and quickly stole my heart. I want one (just kidding...but really only half kidding).

I widened my gaze to survey the whole garden. There was not only a groundhog but four pretty birds swooping and landing, swooping and landing. They were a soft, medium shade of blue and at least one of them (the one closest to me) had a red-ish belly.

From there I noticed the yellow buds starting to form on a few of the plants that are growing strong. I even noticed a fly or two. I have an extreme dislike of flies but something about them reminded me of that feeling. (Quick, just have to add  this-the groundhog just ran up the steps like there was no tomorrow. Too freaking cute.) That feeling that you get on a warm summer afternoon. Especially here. You're on the verge of being too hot, but you're not quite there yet. A warm breeze floats across your body.

The wind is electric. The clouds are varying shades of grey. I feel strange saying this, but I would love a good, summer thunderstorm. One where even the rain is hot. And the pulse coming through the air is almost tangible. I'm pretending now that what I'm seeing is the beginning of a wonderful, terrible, beautiful thunderstorm.

Happy Spring to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment