Friday, January 28, 2011

"I like the cold, grey winter days...

...Days like these let you savor a bad mood."  -Bill Watterson


Winter has really settled in. I'm starting to understand why everyone here seems to detest the very mention of it during summer. While I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, it's not quite sunshine and roses. In fact, it's quite the opposite.


I am still captured by the whimsy of watching flurries float down slow, but not lazy. Fast, but not rushed. Straight, but not ordered. It's when I snap out of my haze and get back to the reality of scraping the ice off my car that I really miss summer.


Let me clarify that really quickly. I miss Eden, NY summers. I do not, however, miss Florida summers. I don't think I'll ever miss that monstrosity. 


But the lack of sun does tend to wear on my psyche. I don't remember the last time I saw the cheery yellow of the sun drifting through my windows, chasing the sorrows away. It's been a while. It has allowed me an abundance of time to feel down. That has manifested into many different things; homesickness, tiredness, and a very general blah feeling. This isn't constant, but it is quite close to majority.


I have a theory. I think that you can go without social activity or you can go without sunlight. But you can't do both. Obviously, this theory has some pretty gaping holes. But for me, it's pretty accurate. 


When the sun is shining I tend to have a bright outlook on things (No pun intended. Well, actually, it was kind of intended.) When I'm with friends or family I am at ease, forgetting that I have a ton of homework and come tomorrow I have "insert some mundane activity that for whatever reason I'm feeling major anxiety about here" to do.


But when it's snowing, overcast and I stay at home alone all day I tend to lose every last drop of contentedness I ever had. Unless, I've noticed, I clean. But there's only so much I can clean. The last few days I've been spending plenty of time with my friends and that, above all, seems to be helping a lot. 


What I'll end with is this: Winter is a mysterious, beautiful thing. If only it lasted for three weeks it'd be perfect. See you none-too-soon, Spring. I'll be waiting.



No comments:

Post a Comment