Wednesday, January 19, 2011

School...Yippee! Wait, what?

School has started up again. In fact, I just got home from school a mere twenty minutes ago (it's 11:30 PM now). A lot of things are different from last semester.

For starters, we're in a different kitchen. A bigger one. A nicer one. Oh yeah... The size of my class has also changed. There's now only 8 people in my Retail Bakeshop class and 6 people in my Classical Bakeshop class. It's crazy to see the humongous group of beginners next door. To think we were there merely four months ago. We've come full circle. It's a strange thought.

I've learned fast that Retail Bakeshop is going to flat-out kick my ass. Depending on your station for the week you are expected to make (correctly, of course) four dozen cookies or two cheesecakes and two pies or a couple sheet pans of bar cookies, so on and so forth. The trick is, you have less than three hours. And mix that pressure with Chef Dorothy's (who seems nice, if a little reserved, from what I've seen) ambiguous stare, it's enough to unnerve just about anybody.

That class ends at 6:30. Guess when the next class starts. Did you guess 6:30? If you did, give yourself a pat on the back. That's right. There's no break in between. That means from 3:30-9:45 we are in straight production. On our feet. In a kitchen. I must admit I'm not sure how well this is going to work out for things like my back and feet. Even Chef Kyle let on that about the third week he starts to see students shoulders slump. It's just a lot on your body.

That being said, I have a sense of comfort knowing that my classmates double as my best friends here. Every single one of them. Not many people can say that. So, all in all, I think it will be a very interesting semester. Definitely one I'll remember for the rest of my life. And with that, I shall end this post. It's late and I'm tired.

Goodnight, all.

P.S. If you noticed that this post was lacking any sort of witty word-play or basically anything that would make it interesting to read, that is directly related to the time I get out of school. I didn't get home until about 11:05 so this is what gets pooped out (sorry, that was gross).

No comments:

Post a Comment